2017 Case Results
This is a listing of the 2017 Case Results handled by Matney Law, PLLC.
Disclaimer for Case Results
I am frequently asked for the results of my representation. I have therefore summarized the cases I handled in 2017 and provided them on the website for your review. I chose not to post only the most successful cases or a sampling of cases. Instead, I have provided outcomes for all of my traffic related matters. In some instances I have reported only the final Circuit Court result when a case was presented in the General District Court and then appealed to the Circuit Court.
To protect confidentiality, I have removed the identities of clients, judges, and law enforcement personnel.
This information accurately reflects the outcomes of those cases but the results in each situation depend on many factors and cannot be relied on to guarantee the result in your particular matter. Each case is unique because it involves its own combination of evidence, client history, law enforcement, prosecutor, and judge.
Comment for Case Results
In every case where a Reckless Driving charge is amended to Speeding or Improper Driving the outcome involves a criminal misdemeanor becoming a traffic infraction and a reduction in the length of time the charge will appear in the Virginia driving transcript.
May 15-19, 2017
11 cases with every client receiving a reduction or dismissal.
- Reckless Driving by speed, 61 mph/35 – Amended to Speeding. Avoided misdemeanor and reduced DMV demerit points.
- DUI, Refusal 2nd offense, Reckless Driving – Dismissed Refusal 2nd & Reckless Driving, Minimum sentencing for DUI. Avoided 3 years license suspension and 2 misdemeanors.
- Reckless Driving (accident) and Speeding – Amended Reckless Driving to Improper Driving, Dismissed Speeding. Avoided reckless driving misdemeanor, reduced DMV demerit points, and avoided the speeding infraction.
- Speeding, 40 mph/25 – Dismissed
- Driving with Suspended License (3rd offense) and Expired Registration – Amended license charge to 2nd offense and Dismissed Registration charge. Avoided mandatory jail required for 3rd
- Reckless Driving by speed, 82 mph/60 – Amended to Speeding, 79/60. Avoided misdemeanor and reduced DMV demerit points.
- Reckless Driving by speed, 82 mph/60 – Amended to Speeding, 69/60. Avoided misdemeanor and reduced DMV demerit points.
- Reckless Driving (accident) – Amended to Improper Driving. Avoided misdemeanor and reduced DMV demerit points.
- Driving Without a License (misdemeanor) and Speeding – Dismissed license charge & Speeding charge to be dismissed upon completion of driver improvement course. Avoided misdemeanor, reduced DMV demerit points, and avoided the speeding infraction.
- Speeding, 63 mph/45 – Amended to Defective Speedometer. Avoided moving violation and DMV demerit points.
- Speeding, 59 mph/45 – Dismissed